[Nottingham] GNU/Linux on a samsung R60

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue May 27 09:36:42 BST 2008

Richard Smedley wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 07:48 +0000, Phil Court wrote:
>> Could anyone recommend a distribution of linux to install on a samsung
>> R60 laptop ?
>> I tried PC world with Ubuntu 7.10 but they said they couldn't do it.
>> I've tried looking on the internet but to no avail.
>
> Hello Phil,
>
> Ubuntu will install on your laptop, but it isn't straightforward
> as the PC's ATI graphics chip is not well-supported :-/
>
> If you go to:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=559250&highlight=maluka
> and follow through to the end, you'll see the steps someone called
> Maluka took to make it work.
>
> Perhaps you could bring it along to the next LUG meeting, and
> some kind LUG member could help? Regrettably I can't get to
> meetings, but I wish you luck with your install :)

That's a good idea.

Phil,

You'll be very welcome with laptop & disk(s) to try some installs at the
next meet.

We have our foodie meet Wed next week.

I guess this is a good excuse for trying out the food at The Nav or The
Roebuck for food, beer, tables and power sockets! WiFi included... Mmmm,
I think that means The Nav for preference. Is Roebuck WiFi free or fee
paying?

martin at ml1.co.uk