[Nottingham] [OT] Sushi, Whales, and Recent Events

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sun Jan 10 19:51:17 UTC 2010

Folks,

There's quite a clash ongoing at the moment in a whale sanctuary off the
coast of Antarctica. See below for brief-ish details.

Considering the proposed next social venue, and having a conscience,
some quick checks shows my conscience can be reasonably clean and clear
on this one.

So all is ok and go by me!

For those unaware, I guess there are parallels to how most of our planet
are completely unaware of Free Software (as in for your personal
freedoms), the FSF, and how Linux and groups such as ours fit in with
all that...

An important aspect is that our group is open and welcome to all, but
also that hopefully at least some members will understand why it is that
we benefit from all parts that is the "GNU"/"Linux" that we use.

Regards,
Martin

YO! Sushi Sustainable Tuna
http://fis.com/fis/techno/newtechno.asp?id=33318&l=e&ndb=1

Also, there is no mention of whale on the YO! Sushi website and it's not
 on any menus. It appears to be a UK chain that honours a Japanese style
of food.

The plight of the bluefin

In the Antarctic, Sea Shepherd activists on a record breaking
lightweight powerboat, the Ady Gil, had stopped their interference for
the day and appear to have been caught completely disbelieving that they
would be run down to be sunk by a Japanese whaling boat.

Some of the various views on YouTube:

Footage from the Ady Gil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfGM-LzGKjc

Video released by the Japanese Whalers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEmzp054cOA

Interview with Paul Watson, Sea Shepherd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brw6JN0lQXY

Interview with Glen Innwood, spokesperson for the Japanese Whalers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ3359XLr-8

Interview with Pete Bethune, Ady Gil captain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgadHN1X6nU

Two news articles:

Film backs Ady Gil claims
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/01/11/120771_tasmania-news.html

Paul Watson: Sea Shepherd's stern 'warrior' defies Japanese whalers
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jan/10/paul-watson-sea-shepherd-whales

martin at ml1.co.uk