[Nottingham] Linux Live

Bob Marshall mbob71 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 21 16:53:47 UTC 2010

Hello everyone.  MM has recently run an article on using Live Linux to install a complete working distro on a USB key.  I know this is no big trick for those with a feel for Linux, but I have found it works perfectly and can thoroughly recommend it.

I used a 4GB key and my wife's Windows box - Live Linux is a Windows program! - to install Mint Gloria; since I did this, I have upgraded to Firefox 3.5.7 using Ubuntuzilla, removed Open Office and replaced it with AbiWord and removed GIMP altogether.

It boots from the key in a reasonably up-to-date box and will run in Windows under its own built-in VirtualBox on Winboxes.

Well done to the people who made it; I hope this might be of some value to our friends in NLUG.  The Live Linux site is: http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

Happy New Year if it's not too late to say so, and I look forward to seeing you again when the weather and my old bones make it viable to trudge along to the Nav!

Bob M.