[Nottingham] Linux Live

Rory Holland modestforagenius at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 21 16:56:31 UTC 2010

It's so good to be able to use a USB flash drive.
They're faster and quieter than CDs, not to mention they pay for themselves
in about a week if you distro-hop like I do!
I've used unetbootin in the past; which is good because it can download from
a large list of distros, soyou can just press go and walk away. Also its
cross-platform..
It doesn't have quite as good an interface as this one though, so may not be
as good for new users?
What is MM? Is it a magazine?

2010/1/21 Bob Marshall <mbob71 at yahoo.com>

> Hello everyone.  MM has recently run an article on using Live Linux to
> install a complete working distro on a USB key.  I know this is no big trick
> for those with a feel for Linux, but I have found it works perfectly and can
> thoroughly recommend it.
>
> I used a 4GB key and my wife's Windows box - Live Linux is a Windows
> program! - to install Mint Gloria; since I did this, I have upgraded to
> Firefox 3.5.7 using Ubuntuzilla, removed Open Office and replaced it with
> AbiWord and removed GIMP altogether.
>
> It boots from the key in a reasonably up-to-date box and will run in
> Windows under its own built-in VirtualBox on Winboxes.
>
> Well done to the people who made it; I hope this might be of some value to
> our friends in NLUG.  The Live Linux site is: http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
>
> Happy New Year if it's not too late to say so, and I look forward to seeing
> you again when the weather and my old bones make it viable to trudge along
> to the Nav!
>
> Bob M.

Rory Holland
+44 7896-352533