[Nottingham] query on new laptop

Frederic Vagner fred at vagner.me.uk
Thu Jul 15 14:32:03 UTC 2010

Hi,

Regarding the DELL issue, there is a slight difference. I didn't ask for
the laptop with Linux, but I asked for a Laptop without Windows.
What she offered me was not a refund of the difference, but a free
upgrade. It was more a commercial approach, than a query or a
complaint ;-)

So to be honest, I got an upgrade on the processor, i7-820 instead of
i7-620, a backlight keyboard and a better graphic card, for the same
price, which I can estimate worth approximately £150-£200 (worth
asking).

For the install, I ran into 2 difficulties :
- the nVidia drivers would only work randomly, not their fault though,
as a kernel option (vmalloc=256MB) solved this.
- as with the wifi, I must have rebooted the laptop at least 20 times
yesterday while finetuning everything (especially Compiz) and after a
"yum update", I don't know if it was that upgrade or my reboot or
something about a good karma, but the wifi works perfectly well, even
the switch and the light works, as with my old laptop.

I tested the webcam with aMSN and another software to take a picture and
it looks really nice (the software and the webcam, not me ;-)).

The last thing that I have to look into is the smart card reader. It
actually works, I suppose, because the driver is loaded (pcsc) but I
have no idea what I can do with it, without having to develop a software
dedicated to it. If you have any idea ...

BTW, I tried to call HP while shopping for my laptop, and they didn't
want to finetune my laptop and include what I wanted, so I didn't ask
for the Windows/Linux OS as they were not even able to listen to what I
wanted !

Thanks

Fred