[Nottingham] Wave

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Jun 8 15:35:10 UTC 2010

On 07/06/10 21:16, Martin Garton wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 12:20 +0100, Camilo Mesias wrote:
>> Are there really people out there who are resisting having a Google
>> account? It seems a bit peevish IMO. If someone currently has no
>> google account, then makes one and uses it solely for trying out Wave,
>> it's not exactly selling your soul, is it?

It's just weariness of YAWSO.[*]

Also caution as to how Google will 'lever' the idea and the hosting for
other things. Facebook and Twitter are just two examples of that
happening. The adverts foisting from Yahoo-groups is another example.

> I don't know about resisting having a google account.  I use google for
> mail myself daily (although not right now) but I totally understand not
> wanting to use wave as a means of communication, especially for
> something like nlug.

I've got reasonable faith in the volunteers for lug.org.uk, but not so
for the "corporate big boys".

As a group, we need to be as inclusive as possible. We can't push for a
mass migration to a corporate hosted system.

> Using wave doesn't allow users to choose their own clients in the same
> way that email does.  I certainly don't have much of a problem with
> google (most of the time), but I certainly don't want to make a choice
> that forces others to use their software either.

Good comment and I fully agree.

Then also, we shouldn't blindly keep ourselves stuck behind the times
sometime at the dawn of the ARPANET...

If there's interest in the Google Wave, we should have an experiment and
see how well it works (or not). Who's interested?

Previously, we've kept off forums for usage reasons. I guess the
maillist format suits most people very well.

[*] Yet Another Website Sign On!

Not to be confused with:

http://code.google.com/p/yawso/

(Shouldn't that be YAWOS?)