[Nottingham] Mobile phone unlocking

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Tue Oct 19 15:12:10 UTC 2010

On 19 October 2010 15:13, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:

> How well does the number transfer system work across different network
> operators?
>
> What happens to the source and target sims when you're transferring your
> phone number over?

I recently switched from O2 (PAYG) to Virgin for my mobile phone.  The
number transfer system worked pretty smoothly.

With O2, you can request your PAC (the code which allows another operator to
pick up your number) on line; mine came within an hour or so.   Once I had
the Virgin phone, I had to ring them (10p call) to provide the PAC; I rang
on a Wednesday and they took over the number on the Friday.   There was a
short time, perhaps half an hour, during which the number was in limbo
between the two.

The new number is applied to the new operator's SIM, so one it's switched
you can bin the old one.  Best to get any contacts etc off it first!

--
David Aldred