[Nottingham] Crippled Linux

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Apr 4 12:49:52 UTC 2011

On 4 April 2011 13:25, Michael Erskine <msemtd at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 4 April 2011 13:04, Martin <martin at ml1.co.uk> wrote:
[---]
>> Compared to the specs afforded to Microsoft devices, I think there's a
>> real danger that Linux may well be being made to look to be 'too
>> cheap' to the general public...
>
> Too cheap! Now that's priceless!

For our knowledgeable expectations, we have an honest appreciation of
what to expect. So no surprises. We also appreciate and can take
advantage of the low price. All very good!

However, there is also "cheap" as in "cheap-and-shoddy". When marketed
directly alongside similar /looking/ devices, the low spec of Linux
systems cannot help but make them look shoddy. Being half the price
even reinforces the impression of shoddiness!

Add in a liberal dose of Marketing hype and then disappointment by the
general public is virtually guaranteed...