[Nottingham] Ubuntu Alternate install (Was: [Talk] *TODAY* Wednesday 02/03/2011 btrfs: A Better File System? Or a COW?)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 23:11:14 UTC 2011

Jason,

> Has anyone have a copy of the Ubuntu Desktop 64-bit alternate CD they know
> works?  I've burnt three copies and they all hang at the "Installing the
> base system" step, 73% progress and the message "Updating list of available
> packages".

Strange... And 64-bits?... Why the 'alternate' install for that?

The only Ubuntu alternate installs I've ever had to do was for old
32-bit i586 PCs (no i686 CMOV instruction).

You sure the HDD and memory are ok? Does the media that you're burning
pass an md5 check? Are you suffering an old dusty PC with an old and
dirty CD/DVD drive that can't read fast-burnt media?...

> Getting close of my wits end here.....

Oooer... I hope not!

Can you instead run an Ubuntu LiveCD and then install from that?

Check out the hardware first with memtext86+, badblocks, and the GIMPS
'torture test'. You may well be surprised at what you find...

Good luck,