[Nottingham] Advice on best tablet sub £150

Richard Hodgson rich at dearinternet.com
Tue Mar 22 19:38:12 UTC 2011

Yikes, £150? You'll be lucky.

Even the single core pre-Honeycomb tablets weighed in higher than £150 last
I checked. They may come down in price with the new dual-core offerings, but
if you've only played with ones at a show, you were likely handling a
dual-core Honeycomb tablet, which is going to be noticeably faster, and
indeed have a different UI (as Honeycomb requires a multi-core processor) to
any of the single core machines out there.

If you're dead set on a single-core tablet, the Archos tablets (
http://www.archos.com/products/ta/index.html?country=gb&lang=en) are
supposed to be fairly good, or if you're willing to get technical, you could
try nabbing yourself a Nook Color (an Android based e-book reader with a
colour screen) and modifying it - there are various tutorials around the
internet for 'rooting' the Nook Color.

The machines you see from China are often cheap knock offs; they do run
Android, but they're just trying to quickly cash in on the market; don't
expect any support or updates in the future.

Honestly though, since this isn't really an essential purchase, I'd advise
you to wait on the dual-core tablets that are appearing, or you're going to
end up with buyer's remorse in a couple of months.

Best of luck!

Rich