[Nottingham] WebP - Anyone heard of it or using it? Or seen it even?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon May 23 22:25:49 UTC 2011

Folks,

So... We've had gif superseded by png... Looks like there's a move to
usurp both png and jpg with a new Google-ism of WebP:

http://code.google.com/speed/webp/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/23/webp_format_in_chrome_gmail_picasa/

http://code.google.com/p/webp/

Patented to be 'open' and supposedly 40% better compression than jpg
for similar visual quality...

Too new to be seen anywhere yet? Good, bad, not needed, and/or is
Google big enough to push it through?

Interestingly, on http://code.google.com/speed/webp/ , the versions
for the various OSes are listed in the order Linux, Windows, Mac OS
X...

Ain't got it in my old version of GIMP!... One for the next distro update?

(BTW: GIMP next talk ;-) )