[Nottingham] Oh how I laughed

Joshua Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 16:56:52 UTC 2012

On 2 December 2012 07:43, Jason Irwin <jasonirwin73 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 December 2012 13:42, Jason Irwin <jasonirwin73 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, if you boot from a USB stick; this Dell will switch it off.
>> How very clever.  Oh my yes.
>
> I wonder if Canoncial has been hiring ex-Dell engineers, because I see that
> have decided to be supremely helpful in making life difficult.
> Want to install on to a RAID?  Or maybe so something even marginally off the
> "happy, clicky button, no need to think path"?  Well tough.  You are not
> allowed.

I almost thought you were serious until this point. Then I realised
you must be trolling because, of course, the alternate CD *was* just
happy button clicking too, or at least happy key pressing.

> I had heard of the alternate CD being dropped but hadn't realised this meant
> they were throwing away clear, simple and easy to use tools for RAID (LLVM
> is still there, but only if you want to nuke your entire disc).

And of course you did at least a casual Google search before letting
rip to your diary^W NLUG, right?

You might as well read the rationale and tell us how stupid it is:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2012-August/035675.html

(That's hit #1 on Google for me, and easily findable from the first
dozen or so hits on Duck Duck Go).
> Clearly Canonical (or more correctly, the Ubuntu Release Team) don't want to
> be taken seriously any more and would rather you used something else.

Yes, I'm sure that's precisely what they were thinking. I bet they all
had an extra giggle in delight when they realised the amount of
vitriol filled email this would generate.

I know my number one goal when developing software is to trigger as
much anonymous name calling on the internet as possible.

> Windows 8, maybe?
>
> So bang goes my idea of installing 12.10 and dropping Cinnamon on top.

Why? Why not just install Mint? Which (so far as a cursory glance
shows) is an Ubuntu re-spin with CInnamon on top.

> More updates as the situation develops...
>
> Jason "Not a happy camper" Irwin

Joshua "Feeding the trolls" Lock
--
Joshua Lock