[Nottingham] Temporary service interruption...

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Dec 7 19:34:18 UTC 2012

Roger,

>> It's back online but minus half its memory. 'Twill be interesting to see
>> how much swap gets used (if any). All good fun!
>
> I would hope "none". If you do have problems I'd assume you're using
> apache - you might consider moving to e.g. lighttpd which does more
> than enough for most people but in less ram.

It's used about 100Mbyte of the swap. After an initial flurry, it's
settled down to no appreciable swapping.

I also have a good chunk of email on there which adds to the memory
footprint...

So what features and quirkiness are lost to gain the lightweight speed
of such as lighttpd and nginx?

After many years of Apache, I could be persuaded to take a look ;-)

OK to run WordPress on those?

>> Has anyone got spare a 2GB DDR2-800 DIMM? ;-)
>
> Actually yes, I have four (2 lots of 4GB "kits") spare. So maybe you'd
> be better off using apache after all. I'd be happy to let them go for
> a price reasonable for both of us.

I don't need that much! I'm sure beers can be
exchanged/bartered/equivalents ;-)

The replacement I could go for is £17.40.

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg