[Nottingham] dnsmasq ad-block exception

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Sun Jun 17 12:19:36 UTC 2012

On 17/06/12 09:22, Jason Irwin wrote:
> I've got an instance of dnsmasq installed and acting as a DNS cache as
> it seems one heckuva lot easier to set-up than bind9 for my simple needs.

Hey! Bind9 is easy enough! :-)

> I've got it doing an ad-blocking which works really well except for one
> small problem, there is one specific instance of grapeshot which I want
> to allow through as it is used by VirginMedia for their catch-up Player.
>
> A simple answer would be just to yank the grapeshot.co.uk block entry
> entirely and let the browser ad-blockers deal with it but if I could add
> an exception in dnsmasq some how, that'd be preferable.  Something like...
> #Allow virign, block the rest
> address=/(!virgin.)grapeshot.co.uk/127.0.0.1
>
> Anyone know if this would be possible?

If Virgin call up some specific xxxx.grapeshot.co.uk then you should be
able to allow that.

Otherwise: DNS is just DNS, there's no history or state with it to
conditionally return values depending on what else you're looking at.

What is it that the catch-up Player requires or looks for? Serve up a
suitable dummy page if the player is waiting on something?

Aside: I use the dummy address 127.0.0.9 so as not to catch anything
that might be listening on or using "127.0.0.1".

Aside #2: Would you get faster web page loading if you /did/ always
serve up a dummy page/response for all blocked sites rather than having
the lookup address pointing to an ignored address?

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg