[Nottingham] dnsmasq ad-block exception

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 12:29:17 UTC 2012

On 17/06/12 13:20, Martin wrote:
> If Virgin call up some specific xxxx.grapeshot.co.uk then you should be
> able to allow that.
Cool....just need to fiddle out the syntax I guess.  The grapeshot.co.uk
rule kills that domain dead.

> What is it that the catch-up Player requires or looks for? Serve up a
> suitable dummy page if the player is waiting on something?
Virgin are using Grapeshot to deliver thumbnails and some other assets.

> Aside: I use the dummy address 127.0.0.9 so as not to catch anything
> that might be listening on or using "127.0.0.1".
Good point.

> Aside #2: Would you get faster web page loading if you /did/ always
> serve up a dummy page/response for all blocked sites rather than having
> the lookup address pointing to an ignored address?
I mostly see the block done in conjunction pixel-serv (or whatever it's
called) that returns a 1x1 gif for the blocked content.

I've just not bothered to set one up yet.

J.