[Nottingham] the demise of gnome-3

Martin Garton martin at stupids.org
Wed May 2 20:55:27 UTC 2012

> Further, everything you've stated can't be done in GNOME 3 in fact
> can, at least in the case where you haven't confused distribution
> choices with the desktop environment. I've used GNOME3 for the past
> year and do pretty much all of those things daily.

Indeed.  I began as a gnome 3 (and unity) hater, but I decided to stick
with them for a while and try to work with them with an open mind.  It
turns out I still dislike unity, but I really like gnome 3 now that I am
used to it.  I'd say I'm probably more productive now than when I used
gnome 2.  To put this into perspective, I'm a pretty hard core  command
line user (by today's standards), with a general tenancy to avoid gui
stuff altogether if I can, but I now find (most of) gnome to be a
pleasure to use.

For a while, I was using gnome 3 at home and gnome 2 at work.  That
_really_ made me realise (eventually) which was better, and I just had
to upgrade to gnome 3 at work as well.

On a slightly related note, for any Ubuntu users who haven't upgraded to
12.04 and who are gnome 3 users, expect some issues if you upgrade.  I'm
still battling to get basic keyboard shortcuts working and it appears
the ubuntu folks "WONTFIX" them.  Unsurprisingly, Ubuntu seems to be
fast becoming a Unity-only distro.  Good luck to them.

As a gnome 3 convert, I'm now trying out fedora 17 beta, and so far
everything is looking as good or better than ubuntu was for my general
use. (and many of the dev tools I use daily for work are more up to date
versions too)

I recommend folks give gnome 3 another chance, perhaps play with some
extensions if it doesn't do what you want out of the box, and look at
writing your own otherwise. (which you do in javascript, and ANYONE can
do that! ;-)

--
Martin.