[Nottingham] Dixons/PC World response .....

david at gbenet.com david at gbenet.com
Tue Apr 30 17:07:15 UTC 2013

On 30/04/13 17:10, Barry Drake wrote:
> After a lot of contact making, including two opposing e-mails from the support team, I got
> the following response after copying in the CEO for the group. This seems to represent the
> official policy of Currys, PC World, Dixons.co.uk and Pixmania.com
>
> The message title was: DIX1928366CR, RE: very mixed response ..... and includes the
> following paragraph:
>
> "For the pre-loaded Linux operating system on the product, the manufacturers directly
> provide technical support. For PC peripherals such as printer there is an option for
> customer to download drivers for different operating system like Windows, Linux and MAC. We
> would recommend customer to check or ask the store whether these drivers are available from
> the manufacturer direct. Our store endeavour to provide any assistance of different versions
> of operating system, however, this cannot be guaranteed all the time. I have logged your
> complaint under reference CC2000722. Mohammed Gulfraz - The KNOWHOW� Team." Dated 29th April.
>
> It might be good if list members could test this out at their local branch by asking which
> peripherals do support Linux, and making a complaint if the branch is opposed to giving this
> information.
>
> Kind regards, Barry.

Hello Barry,

In so far as PC World in Nottingham there is zero recognition of Linux as an operating
system. There whole product line is geared to whatever Microsoft says is the new operating
system. They will not sell you a laptop or desktop computer without a Microsoft operating
system and will only sell with the latest one.

PC World are not really a computer store but rather an outlet devoted to the retail of
Microsoft. Dixons Currys are the same. They have no interest whatsoever. If you buy a
printer and it fails to support your Linux - well that's no good reason to take it back. You
will not be able to to give it back.

David

--
https://linuxcounter.net/user/512854.html - http://gbenet.com/blog - cryptology - for books