[Nottingham] Firefox problem

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 21:28:18 UTC 2013

On 24/01/13 20:56, Ron Wilton wrote:
> Before I try the WINE idea, can someone explain more about the "User
> Agent Switcher", please? For example, how do I get the Firefox, and Win
> 7 into the menu, so that I can try that method again.
UAS was just to see if they were blocking GNU/Linux.  The fact that
www.armorgames.com and www.youtube.com don't work implies you have some
deeper issues with Flash.
What UAS does is fake the user agent string that the browser send.  This
won't help you; you can ignore UAS (and even uninstall it).

I assume you mean "www.mymaths.co.uk", the ".com" looks well dodgy.
In which case, I have some good news.  On Ubuntu 12.10 64bit with FF
18.0.1 I the site and Flash works for me.
So it doesn't look like the site itself and we're back to "What the heck
is up with yer Flash?"

You didn't state if you were using 32 or 64bit and I forgot to ask (sorry).
Is you CPU AMD and are you running 32bit?  If so, you might be out of
luck as I've seen people state that Flash does not run on some 32bit AMD
systems.
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/flash-issues-on-ubuntu-12-04-lts-4175420304/#post4746484

I found the Ubuntu docs here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/Flash
Might be worth giving that a quick read and seeing if installing
ubuntu-restricted-extras improves matters.

Then there's various forum posts and, to be honest, people seem to be
trying random things

Have you got a firewall or other security setting in place?  e.g. NoScript?
One of those could be knackering Flash for you.

I've never had any trouble with Flash beyond the Smurf bug on YouTube,
so I've never really had to troubleshoot it.

If this is a laptop, bring it along to the Blue Moon or the next meeting
and I am sure some bright spark will fix it.

J.