[Nottingham] Firefox problem

Andy White andy at milky.org.uk
Thu Jan 24 23:43:33 UTC 2013

Hi All,

[snip]
> You didn't state if you were using 32 or 64bit and I forgot to ask (sorry).
> Is you CPU AMD and are you running 32bit?  If so, you might be out
> of luck as I've seen people state that Flash does not run on some
> 32bit AMD systems.
[snip]

file `cat /proc/$(pgrep firefox)/cmdline`
should tells us whether firefox is 32 or 64-bit.

Also:

uname -i

Will tell us if you're using a 64-bit/32-bit OS (if you're 64-bit, but
using a 32-bit firefox, then it's probable you're updating the wrong version
of flash).

Also, it's worth checking the url:

about:plugins

in firefox,  to see if it's finding any at all. If it is, the output of:

cat /proc/$(pgrep firefox)/maps  |grep flash

ought to show the actual shared-objects being loaded (the paths may prove
useful; in my case, my flash shared object isn't actually in a package, but
is pulled in via flashplugin-installer).

also the output of

dpkg --get-selections |grep flash

Would be helpful.

Andy