[Nottingham] Email server hosting?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Wed Sep 18 12:04:41 UTC 2013

> (VirginMedia have got certain of their email servers blacklisted
> again... :-( )
>
> (And no... Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etal are not an option!)

Thanks folks for some good suggestions.

To summarise:

http://bitfolk.com/plans.html

http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/
(But showing all sold out :-( )

http://www.tunnelbroker.net/
(For a tunnel to IPv6, must request port 25 if to send email)

https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing

And a beautiful few hundred pieces of RasPi:
http://raspberrycolocation.com/
(Except they have 860 pending orders...)

My thoughts are for a definite preference for real hardware rather than
going virtual. Lifting physical hardware is a bit more difficult and
deliberate than grabbing or tinkering with a virtual machine image...
Also, the real hardware guarantees that you have the machine resources
to yourself rather than suffering someone else's IO bottlenecks...

Then again, for the sake of merely tunnelling email, any of those listed
should be more than good for that.

I wonder if there are any Beaglebone or other ARM-based cheapie
hosts/colocation? ;-)

-    Martin Lomas    - OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xCEE1D3B7
- martin @ ml1 co uk - Import from   hkp://subkeys.pgp.net   or
- ------------------ - http:// ml1 .co .uk/martin_ml1_co_uk.gpg