[Nottingham] How to create a UEFI bootable USB stick?

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 11:44:35 UTC 2014

I'm using a BIOS laptop and I need to create a UEFI bootable USB stick. So
far every single tool I have tried only creates a BIOS-bootable stick.
Every guide I have found only deals with a UEFI HDD install (I haven't got
that far yet).
>From what I can tell, GRUB won't create a UEFI bootable stick unless run
from UEFI hardware (chicken/egg).
Does anyone know of a way to create a USB stick that can boot on a UEFI
lappy?
In an ideal world I'd be able to choose to boot multiple distros and it'd
boot on BIOS too.
But I'm more than happy to get one distro booting.

I have already disabled fast-boot, hybrid sleep (it's a Win8 lappy) and
SecureBoot.
The laptop does not have any legacy support options.

Cheers,

J.