[Nottingham] Smart meters

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Thu Aug 28 20:53:53 UTC 2014

Hello,

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 05:59:06PM +0100, Benjamin Crowe wrote:
> On the estimated read situation, British gas have a Responsibility to read
> all their meters at least once every two years, how ever the responsibility
> of getting accurate bills from up to date meter reads is a 50/50 spilt.

Well, it's an interesting one because the terms and conditions say
that I agree they can estimate meter readings. However, I don't
think that is fair if I believe that their estimates are very wrong,
and have something to back that up (my figures plus the fact they
haven't ever done a reading).

At the moment I have said that I believe it is a significant
over-estimate, without going into the details of why and what I
think it should be. Now they have offered to take a reading one week
after the new meter is installed and produce a new estimate for
all the prior usage based on one week of new usage.

If it comes out somewhere near what my estimates are then that is
fair enough, I think.

And yes, someone did suggest that we turn everything off and stay
with relatives for that week. :) But that would be both
dishonourable and probably ineffective as they'd no doubt see the
massive disparity and insist on extending the metering period.

Cheers,
Andy