[Nottingham] Smart meters

Benjamin Crowe sneblot at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 06:21:19 UTC 2014

On 28 August 2014 21:53, Andy Smith <andy at bitfolk.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 05:59:06PM +0100, Benjamin Crowe wrote:
> > On the estimated read situation, British gas have a Responsibility to
> read
> > all their meters at least once every two years, how ever the
> responsibility
> > of getting accurate bills from up to date meter reads is a 50/50 spilt.
>
> Well, it's an interesting one because the terms and conditions say
> that I agree they can estimate meter readings. However, I don't
> think that is fair if I believe that their estimates are very wrong,
> and have something to back that up (my figures plus the fact they
> haven't ever done a reading).

> At the moment I have said that I believe it is a significant
> over-estimate, without going into the details of why and what I
> think it should be. Now they have offered to take a reading one week
> after the new meter is installed and produce a new estimate for
> all the prior usage based on one week of new usage.
>
> If it comes out somewhere near what my estimates are then that is
> fair enough, I think.
>
> And yes, someone did suggest that we turn everything off and stay
> with relatives for that week. :) But that would be both
> dishonourable and probably ineffective as they'd no doubt see the
> massive disparity and insist on extending the metering period.

This is possibly the best solution for this issue, I'm no expert but I
would think that regular reads would be the best and easiest way to correct
a history of over estimates. I'm not with British Gas so I'm not sure but
the energy company I'm with have a android app which allows me to input
meter reads via that, I have found this very handy, I can take meter reads
in the morning as I'm getting ready for work, then send them off to them
while sat on the bus.

On the point of smart switching between energy companies, it is correct at
the moment if you have a smart meter installed by E.ON lets say, it will
act as a smart meter until you switch at which point (currently) it will be
be turned to a dumb meter and if you want a smart meter from your new
supplier you will have to book for a new meter to be fitted. This is
something that OFGEM is working to get corrected as they believe this is
not treating customers fairly. I personally think that the quicker they get
this done the better.

Ben