[Nottingham] Problem installing Linux on Acer Aspire E15

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Thu Feb 26 17:35:11 UTC 2015

On 26/02/15 11:47, Godfrey Nix wrote:
> After rebooting it read the disk and displayed the different distros that were there. I have tried three different ones but all with the same result. As soon as I select the 'run' option (to run from CD instead of installing), the screen goes blank and I am clueless as to what progress is being made even though the disk drive is being accessed.

Godfrey,  You don't say what the CD is or where you got it from.  If it
really is a CD, there is a problem.  Any useful up-to-date full featured
GNU/Linux distro needs a DVD these days for just the one distro.  Try
downloading the Ubuntu or Mint latest ISO.  I am normally an Ubuntu
freak, but right now there are a few problems. 14.10 is slow and
slightly buggy, and 15.04 has way to go.  I guess 15.10 should be just
fine, but meanwhile, go for Mint.

Regards,        Barry.