[Nottingham] O/T: Data Collection at NET

Dan Caseley dan at caseley.me.uk
Fri Jan 9 09:25:48 UTC 2015

Morning,

I've just been through a rather concerning interaction with a tram
conductor regarding the issuing of a penalty notice, and am looking for
some advice as to what, if anything, to do.

Under the premise of sending me a letter, he asked for personal
information. After arguing, I agreed to provide name & address. Once he'd
taken this info, he asked how long I lived at my address. I told him it
wasn't relevant. He said it was because I didn't appear. A glance at his
screen showed he held names for the previous owners of our house. Should he
have this info? Especially if it's inaccurate?

Following this, he tried to ply me for my home phone and DOB. I
wrong-numbered him but refused the DOB as it wasn't necessary for a letter.
He argued his system needed it. I offered to provide a fake one. He
insisted on a real one. I asked why. He dropped the matter.

I've emailed NET to ask where the data came from and whether the operators
of the terminals are CRB checked.

Am I unduly concerned? Is there anything else I can or should do?

Thanks for reading and for any advice,

Dan

FWIW, I didn't have a ticket because of a broken ticket machine, and I'm
aware that I was likely in breach of their bylaws by boarding.