[Nottingham] [Walk] Tideswell Miller & Cressbrook Dales

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 00:08:10 UTC 2016

After a month long hiatus due to <reasons>, CALAMITY! The oracle of
walks for the LUG that is "AA 50 Walks in the Peak District" has gone
amiss, so it is with great trepidation we try a walk from a new book.
Please send any complaints in writing to the management, where they will
be studiously ignored.

====

Starting from the car park at the Tideswell Dale picnic site (Buxton
Road, B6049), we follow a clear path down the dale, taking in an 18th
century mill (aka force labour camp), through a haunted dale
(oogie-boogie), past another mill, and loop back to the starting point.
We pass directly through two villages and the obvious choice for a
luncheon is in Litton and the Queens Arms
(http://queensarmslitton.co.uk/) which is about 2/3 the way around and
appears to be be dog friendly.

Given the 3.5 hour time and the fact we tend to rattle through these,
unless <reasons> become a problem I'd hope to see us all back home again
around 1700 at the latest.

Bring sturdy boots/approach shoes, decent socks, waterproofs, lunch etc.
Bad weather will halt the walk, a wee bit of rain/wind won't.
"A wee bit" will follow Scottish Standards.

Please let me know off-list if you'd like to join and if you're a driver
or need transport.

What: Tideswell Miller & Cressbrook Dales
Distance: 12km (7.5 miles)
Ascent/Gradient: Unknown - looks flat-ish
Difficulty: Easy
Time: 3.5 hours
Deadtree: Collins "Walks in the Peak District", page 57.
ISBN: 978-0-00-746455-5
Link: None available. This is close -
http://outdoorsgps.com/route/show/274978_tideswell-2
We will be following the book, this is an easy walk. The route does not
go south of the Wye, heads more towards Wardlow and cuts the stretch
from Litton to Tideswell. By and large, we seem to follow the valley.

When: June 18th 2016 starting walk @ 1030
Meet-up #1: Our place in Beeston to leave @ 0900 (contact me off-list
for address etc)
Meet-up #2: Tideswell picnic site off Buxton Road, B6049
(http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/313736199) @ 1000

--
║ Jason Irwin ║ OpenPGP (GPG/PGP) Public Key: 0xD0C592B1 ║