[Nottingham] [Other] *THURSDAY* is the day to *VOTE*

Jason Irwin jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 12:20:51 UTC 2016

On 24/06/16 23:09, Kev Maggs via Nottingham wrote:
> I don't know where you lot have been! but some of the opinions expressed
> on this mailing list give me cause for concern.
In what way? For me personally, being out of the EU is deeply
concerning. The company I work for does a lot of trade within the EU. My
girlfriend's job depends on being able to process medical data across
borders. We are both worried about our jobs.

> Have you not listened to the views of the British people?
Yes, been kinda hard to avoid that.

> I guess you're going to ask for a second referendum, so you can get your own way.
This was the second referendum. Asking people to keep voting until they
get the "right" answer is an abuse of process. We didn't need this
referendum at all and only got it because Cameron was too weak to
control infernal party politics. The handbags at dawn for the
out-of-touch 1% has now impacted us all.

> Well it's not going to happen. We are Out!
Yes we are and when you look at the voting, you can basically see the
class divide in England. Whilst I understand the need to give the
establishment kicking (and I'm not against that, UK politics is far too
London/finance centric), I don't think this was the right vote to try
and do it in. Why did people who couldn't be bothered to vote for 33
years (as reported by the BBC) decide to vote now? Crazy. They've had
numerous chances to make a different and been too feckless to get out of
their front door.

I really can't see it changing the nature of British politics, and a
shift there is something I think has been overdue for a long time. We
were given a half-arsed option of PR, but failed to seize that
opportunity. So In or Out, we will still see the same faces, taking the
same free lunches and making the same decisions for their friends; but
now without any kind of oversight.

And don't start me on the morons posting "I regret my Leave vote" on
Twitter. I don't believe in capital punishment but there are times...

No one really knows what will happen to the UK long-term. We will
certainly suffer short-term as the uncertainty impacts trades. IT
vendors are already cancelling contracts (as reported in The Register).
I am not sure that situation of the poor working class is going to
change at all. If anything it could well worsen as the protection the EU
offered (ECHR, working standards etc) will be gone. But that's all
conjecture. Time will tell.

The only thing we can do now is continue to voice our discontent if we
so choose (this is still a democracy of sorts) and try to make the best
of this.

J.