[Nottingham] How Much Memory Do You Need: 8, 16 or 32GB of RAM?

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Mon Apr 29 20:06:14 UTC 2019

On 23/04/2019 20:36, Daryl Dudey wrote:
> It's definitely a problem of software not being developed to be as
> memory tight as it used to be. I couldn't function with 16GB as I was
> getting out of memory issues on large LibreOffice spreadsheets and with
> some Java apps.

The other side to the argument is that big RAM and storage are now so
low cost as to be almost a "don't care"...

However, there is still the game of performance, power, heat, and
battery life for laptops. Or even just your overall electricity bill!

Then again... Colossus gobbles a hot 8kW of electricity when running a
demo. Then also, it ain't portable and it was pretty much the first
attempt at electronic cypher-crunching :-P