[Nottingham] unable to set microphone volume

J J jasonirwin73 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 13:42:22 UTC 2020

Godfrey - as chance has it I have just had to fix a mic audio issue on an
ASUS laptop (I'm in Glasgow, it's in Germany; thank goodness for good CLI
tools!)

Run this: amixer get Capture
That will show something like this:
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 31
  Front Left: Capture 31 [50%] [0.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Capture 31 [50%] [0.00dB] [on]

If the volume is not at 100%, then run: amixer set Capture 100%
Then the first command again, it should now look a bit like this.
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
  Capabilities: cvolume cswitch
  Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Capture 0 - 31
  Front Left: Capture 31 [100%] [30.00dB] [on]
  Front Right: Capture 31 [100%] [30.00dB] [on]

You can also still go into "alsamixer" and try in there. Even though you
have Pulseaudio, ALSA is still there.

HTH,

Jason