[Nottingham] Toasty Pi

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 15:42:00 UTC 2020

Jason,

Yep, an unadorned RasPi4 can too easily get up to thermal limiting
throttling hot...

The ever enthusiastic Phoronix ran some heatsink benchmarks over on:

Cooling The Raspberry Pi 4 With The Fan SHIM & FLIRC For Better Performance
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=raspberrypi-4-cooling&num=1

CooliPi 4B Is The Best Raspberry Pi 4 Heatsink We Have Tested Yet
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=raspberrypi-4-coolipi&num=1

See also:

Initial Raspberry Pi 4 Performance Benchmarks
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=raspberry-pi4-benchmarks&num=1

A few more for cooling are:

Cool Cases for the Hot Raspberry Pi 4
https://www.martinrowan.co.uk/2019/08/cool-cases-for-the-hot-raspberry-pi-4/

Group test: Best Raspberry Pi 4 thermal cases tested and ranked
https://magpi.raspberrypi.org/articles/group-test-best-raspberry-pi-4-thermal-cases-tested-and-ranked

I've gone for one of the Pimoroni Aluminium Heatsinks as a first test:
https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/aluminium-heatsink-case-for-raspberry-pi-4

In brief, in lieu of a heatsink, any small forced airflow helps greatly!

Stay cool!! :-)