[Nottingham] Secure cloud storage

Daryl daryljdudey at gmail.com
Wed May 27 10:34:08 UTC 2020

I've played around with a few options and ended up with a non-free solution.

Google Drive is a nightmare, the clients either become unsupported by the
authors or Google themselves block them. Odrive I think was one of the
better ones, but not used it for a while. I tried solutions which had a
configurable back end so you could choose where to host it,
https://www.duplicati.com/ was one which worked okay.

I've finally settled on paying for Dropbox as it meets my requirements -
stores as files, not backup archives, is available on all platforms and is
unlikely to disappear and become unsupported any time soon.

Dropbox does have one difficult to pin down bug where it dumps the entire
folder structure at top "/home/daryl" level but I think that's because I
store it on a mounted drive and not natively inside my home folder.
Happened twice now.

An entirely free solution would be best, but cloud space you normally have
to pay for anyway.

Daryl.