[Nottingham] Secure cloud storage

Andy Smith andy at bitfolk.com
Wed May 27 14:56:56 UTC 2020

Hello,

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 10:20:04AM +0100, J J via Nottingham wrote:
> Thinking of using all the free cloud storage that is on offer for
> (encrypted) off-site back-ups and looking for a simple way to do it.

Does duplicity support the clouds you use?

    http://duplicity.nongnu.org/

I've been using it for ages to do encrypted backups to Amazon S3,
which is my backup of last resort¹ so I store it in the "Infrequent
Access" tier for cheapness. That means it would cost a bit more to
restore anything if I needed to, but that's all S3 stuff not
duplicity stuff.

There is fancier software that supports encrypted backup to cloud
providers, e.g. Restic:

    https://restic.net/

If doing it over I might use that instead of Duplicity but I am very
lazy!

Cheers,
Andy

¹ I have three tiers of backups with one being local and another
  being remote but only on one server. The last resort is in a
  cloud, currently Amazon S3; it is a less frequent backup with
  less history, which dramatically reduces the size of it.