OT: Re: [Phpwm] Re-Introduction...

Elliot Smith elliot at townx.org
Fri Aug 11 12:24:08 BST 2006

Darren Beale wrote:
> Hi Elliot,
>
>> I work at OpenAdvantage in Birmingham
>> (http://openadvantage.org/), as an open source advocate,
>> consultant, and trainer.
>>
> I came across openadvantage.org when I was googling the area before I moved
> here. Certainly looks like you're doing some good things.

Thanks :)
> As a matter of interest, the type of business that you are working with do
> they come to you because "Business link said I should come here to get free
> IT stuff" or because they've heard of open source and want to know more?
> Also do you get any web queries or is it mostly infrastructure/desktop
> stuff?

We get a bit of both, but increasingly we get word of mouth referrals
from people we've assisted (which is nice). There is a lot of interest
in open source in the area; being free helps, but we have developed some
experience with open source over the time we've been active, which
people find helpful.

Areas of interest are largely the reverse of what you suggested: lots of
interest in the web (PHP, CMS especially), less in infrastructure
(though Asterisk and Linux admin. are popular), virtually no interest in
the desktop. For a lot of people, though, open source is a bit
irrelevant (we try to educate on the benefits, of course), and they just
want good software.