[Phpwm] Upgrading PHP Version on server.

Elliot Smith elliot at townx.org
Tue Dec 5 10:56:32 GMT 2006

Chris Allen wrote:
> I am about to upgrade the version of PHP on a server and need the
> advice of as many gurus as possible, hence me posting on this list ;)
>
> The company linux server hosts websites for about 60 clients, and I
> need to make the right choice so I don't break anything.
>
> The version at the moment is 4.1.2 (OLD!!) and the link to the phpinfo
> is:
>
> http://www.cms.istl.com/phpinfo.php
>
> But this is too old for the new framework I am using (codeigniter) as
> this requires a minimum of 4.3 to run.
>
> I am trying to decide on which version is best to upgrade to, ideally
> it would be v5.2, which is the very latest official release, but I am
> thinking that could potentially cause problems with old code? I have
> no idea exactly what php code is on the server, but I do know that
> there is a complex invoice application running.
As I understand it, you can run PHP 5 in PHP 4 compatibility mode, which
should mean old PHP code continues to run as normal. It's not something
I've tried myself. The directive is called:

zend.ze1_compatibility_mode

and should be set to 1 in php.ini to turn it on. You might also have a
look at:

http://www.zend.com/manual/migration5.php.

Elliot