[Phpwm] UML Related Question

Greg Jones greg.jones at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 18:39:19 BST 2006

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:22:38 +0100, Dave Holmes <Dave at neteffekt.co.uk>
wrote:

> I agree with Rob I learned UML, JSP etc etc at UNI

Yeah, me too.

I don't find the actual techniques especially useful, but thinking in
terms of use-cases, relationships and messages is often helpful.
I often find that drawing relationships makes me think about useful
things, and while the drawing itself isn't a lot of use, the process of
doing it is.

> Did anyone else out the learn formal Z notation, what the hell was that
> all
> about and what use to man or beast was it... Just another load of guff
> on my
> computer science course I suspect.

I learnt Z at uni too, and while it's completely useless, I really enjoyed
learning it.
I'm not sure if this was just because it actually showed me a use for some
of the Discrete Maths nonsense we'd been taught previously, but it all
made sense, was quite elegant but really quite 'powerful' in terms of what
you could express with boxes and squiggles.

Greg