[Phpwm] UML Related Question

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Thu Oct 12 20:15:03 BST 2006

 > > I agree with Rob I learned UML, JSP etc etc at UNI
>
> Yeah, me too.
>
> I don't find the actual techniques especially useful, but thinking in
> terms of use-cases, relationships and messages is often helpful.
> I often find that drawing relationships makes me think about useful
> things, and while the drawing itself isn't a lot of use, the process of
> doing it is.
>
> > Did anyone else out the learn formal Z notation, what the hell
> was that
> > all
> > about and what use to man or beast was it... Just another load of guff
> > on my
> > computer science course I suspect.
>
> I learnt Z at uni too, and while it's completely useless, I
> really enjoyed
> learning it.
> I'm not sure if this was just because it actually showed me a use
> for some
> of the Discrete Maths nonsense we'd been taught previously, but it all
> made sense, was quite elegant but really quite 'powerful' in
> terms of what
> you could express with boxes and squiggles.
>
> Greg

Its useless for any form of web programming essentially, because there are too many areas which cannot be addressed, such as the browsers, operating systems etc that simply cannot be factored in, the only real life use is in dedicated devices where everything can be expressed.

Understandng Karnaugh mapping is the real key to programming most languages, but seeing as I never went to uni I don't know if that was on the courses! ;-)