[Phpwm] Open Source Universe Builder

Tony Lovering tonylovering at talktalk.net
Thu Apr 5 15:06:42 BST 2007

sukh virdee wrote:
> Hi,
> Does anybody know of an open source database universe creator as
> bundled in with Business Objects and Crystal Reports?
>
> I've had a look at iReport from JasperSoft and will be looking at
> JasperETL tomorrow, and also got BIRT running, however, these appear
> to be reporting tools rather than universe generators. Please correct
> me if I'm wrong.
>
> I basically need a universe creator to take my DB, and allow non
> technical users to be able to interogate the data how they wish.
>
> Any ideas will be most welcome.
>
> Kind regards,
> Sukh

Hi Sukh

I don't know of an open source product that does what you want. Both
Crystal Reports and a product called Stonefield Query (see
www.stonefieldquery.com/) have a data dictionary element that allows you
to define data elements in simple terms.

Have you looked at Pentaho Reporting: formerly known as JFreeReport (
see http://reporting.pentaho.org/) it is open source, I have just
downloaded it as I'm also looking for a reporting tool.

Alternatively, you could develop your own end user data dictionary, I
have done this for some of my systems as part of a simple query facility.

Regards

Tony

This email message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee.  This communication may contain material protected by law from being passed on.  If you are not the intended recipient and have received this email message in error, you are advised that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email message and any files transmitted with it is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately by reply email and then delete it from your system.

Thank you for your co-operation.