[Phpwm] site critique please

Phil Beynon phil at infolinkelectronics.co.uk
Tue Jan 16 19:16:50 GMT 2007

> Hi Phil
>
> > http://www.ralphsutcliffeminerals.co.uk/index.php
>
> Quick parse:
>
> 'product' pop-ups won't work if JavaScript disabled and the homepage
> JavaScript may as well be in an include;

How many people actually have javascript disabled these days though?

> There's a font *spit* tag in use in the footer on the homepage;

Oops hadn't spotted that one, this is the first version of this front end
using CSS that must have crept in from the textblock management!

> The currency converter rotating gif looks like a throwback to 1997;

unfortunately xe.com insist you use their crappy graphics as part of the
terms of use of their service!

> What were you smoking when you chose the colour scheme for your banner? :)
> The blue, red, yellow hurts a bit and looks tacky but then I'm no designer
> so can't offer an alternative.

heh, I thought that was quite a catchy design! :-)

> I'd also question the benefit of using an
> image map as [I read] the Search Engines don't follow them and of
> course the
> mapped 'text' is hidden to them so it won't help with your PR, if you're
> going to use it you may as well just make it a simple anchor.

Doesn't matter, there is a followable tag in the red infolink bit in the
copyright message.

Phil