[Phpwm] Thursday 25th Jan 2007 - Zend Framework, Presentation

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Wed Jan 24 09:51:24 GMT 2007

Hello (your name seems new to me, so 'Welcome').

> Why don't you just do the session twice if there is so much demand for it.
> I'm still up for this Thursday btw.

I'll try and talk Rob into it.

> I for one have just downloaded V 0.7 and am using the Zend_Search_Lucene
> facilities.  It's fantastic.

I've seen Lucene used with Python before, and it was very nice. If you
could illustrate / show an example of it working, I'd be interested to
see it.

Open Advantage do have internet access...

> Which also brings me to another point, does anybody know of an easy way
> to parse .PDF and .DOC files in PHP so I can pass it to my Lucene search
> engine to index?

Hmm. There are numerous command line utilities which can dump Word files
to text on linux -e.g. antiword, and I think there is also a 'pdf2txt'
function.

> I've also been trying to bridge Java with the new PHP 5.20 on IIS and
> It's not working and driving me up the wall?  Any Ideas?  I've done all
> the standard googling.  Does anybody else out there use JAVA via PHP.?

I came across the following yesterday, which appears to be a near
complete implementation of PHP within Resin (some sort of Java server);
so you can access all Java libraries etc from within 'php'. They claim
it's faster and scales better etc.

See :
http://www.php-mag.net/magphpde/magphpde_news/psecom,id,26802,nodeid,5.html

It's certainly a very interesting project,