[Phpwm] Job for web programmer

Katherine Goodwin kat at codepoets.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 10:35:54 GMT 2007

<snip>

> I get a lot a feedback from people saying that they don't like to deal with
> recruitment agencies, but I would appreciate any constructive feedback as to
> why this is, and what I can do to overcome it.  As good developers are
> becoming increasingly more in demand, surely there must be a place for good
> quality recruitment consultancies?

I've had contact with recruitment agencies from the employee side of the fence, which has made me avoid them from my current position as an employer.

I applied to every recruiter going when I graduated, and felt I had a really bad experience from them.
I got phoned up for inappropriate jobs (and still get emails from recruiters asking me to apply for C++ jobs when that is not mentioned *anywhere* on my CV).
I felt that the recruiters I spoke to didn't really understand the technical requirements of the job.  For instance I applied for one job that mentioned working with MySQL.
I pretty much had all the other requirements but instead of MySQL I'd used Postgres, and could not convince the recruiter that its all pretty much the same and the employer might like to at least see my CV

As an employer, I just feel like I can do a better job recruiting from the community.  We haven't got to the stage where we need a really experienced developer, and I guess when we get there we might have some problems

Kat