[Phpwm] Job for web programmer

Peter Crouch pccrouch at bcs.org.uk
Fri Mar 9 11:15:33 GMT 2007

William Fraser wrote:
<snip>
> I get a lot a feedback from people saying that they don't like to deal with
> recruitment agencies, but I would appreciate any constructive feedback as to
> why this is, and what I can do to overcome it.  As good developers are
> becoming increasingly more in demand, surely there must be a place for good
> quality recruitment consultancies?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Will.

My experience, over the last 10 years, of recruitment agencies has been
pretty negative.  The one job I got through an agency, when I left a
company where I had worked for 29 years, ended in redundancy after 10
months!  Perhaps it was not their fault!

After that I applied to just about every recruitment agency going and
got nowhere.  Fortunately after five months my previous longterm
employer had a vacancy and I got my old job back!  But two and half
years later they had an economy drive and I was redundant again.  So it
was back to the agencies!

Some of the agency staff were very helpful but none of them found me a
job.  Most of the vacancies I was offered required skills I did not have
or were in places I did not want to go!  Eventually I found work as a
civil servant from an advert in the local evening paper.  Despite
telling the agencies that I was no longer loooking for a job I was still
being contacted., even last year, when I have retired!

So I have a pretty poor opinion of recruitment agencies - they seem to
have a very high tunrover of staff and only occasionally do the staff
know what you are talking about on the technical front.

Best wishes,

Peter Crouch
Tel:    0121 523 6756
E-mail: pccrouch at bcs.org.uk