[Phpwm] Job for web programmer

Kevin Golding php at caomhin.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 18:19:40 GMT 2007

Someone, quite probably Phil Beynon, once wrote:
>One of the other things too look at is location, a lot of the people into
>PHP tend to be younger with working partners and quite often have small kids
>who have to be taken to school etc. I'm in this position myself, and I for
>one am simply not that interested in a twice daily cross city / country
>commute. With all the collaboration tools that are available there should be
>a higher degree in flexibility given to allow people to work from home on
>assigned tasks as opposed to having to attend an office daily. Plus it has
>to be said my entire snippets and functions library is here which aids and
>assists productivity enourmously!

Location?  Since moving to Coventry I've had agencies sending my jobs in
London, Cambridge, Oxford, Nottingham and most of the South West.  In
fact in the past 18 months I've only been sent one job in Coventry and
one each in Redditch, Warwick, Leamington, Leicester and Rugby so it
works out I get about 1 agency every 3 months who can figure out where I
live.  And most of them have been at least slightly tangential to my
CV/objective (the less said about the ASP.NET job the better).

I'm not fussed about working from home but having grown up in the
countryside (one job was a two hour commute each way) I thought moving
to a city would open up short commutes to me - I'm just in the wrong
city for that by the look of it.  I guess if PHP etc. is so much in
demand I can understand recruiters sending jobs from all over the place
but if it's such high demand across the whole country surely I shouldn't
get sent more jobs in Oxfordshire than I do in Warwickshire.

Kevin