[Phpwm] [OT] intro, hello, etc.

matt zb bnm at zenbullets.com
Tue Jan 8 12:42:59 GMT 2008

Cheers db. You're spot on, but ...

> a) Both Bristol and Brighton have a single, long established mailing list
> where the subscribers work in all facets of the industry and where
> everything from hardcore tech to random OT rants are aired. The signal to
> noise ratio is high, but that's fine.

Is there any reason why the Mids can't have one of these for themselves? All
that keeps underscore and BNM going is the volume of people on it. Are there
enough practitioners in the Mids to support it?

> b) A large percentage of the attendees to any given geeky* meet-up/seminar
> can have a few beers and walk, cycle, bus home whereas "The West Midlands"
> covers a pretty huge area

Seriously, the amount of facetime compared to the amount of list chatter is
negligible. It is the mailing lists that keep it alive, not the beer.
Although the big conferences do help a lot too.

But if the New Media scene in the Mids was a bit more visible the
conferences might come to Brum too.