[Phpwm] criticising other agencies

db_developer at o2.co.uk db_developer at o2.co.uk
Thu May 23 13:28:35 UTC 2013

When does it become acceptable to critisize agencies and their work? I
have inherited some code from a well known agency in Birmingham and
just thought I'd let off some steam.

The agency in question (who shall remain nameless) is quite famous:
well at least they appear quite high in search engine results if you
are a one the many hapless businesses or individuals searching for
someone to carry out some web work for you. Their work "looks" really
nice. It's compliant with various standards, the designs are very
modern, the javascript probably works really well if you have a modern
browser. But my problem came when I looked under the hood of one of
their projects: it was a mess. It is badly organised, has very poor use
of inline tags, has loads of sql queries where they don't appear
necessary, there are hundreds and hundreds of scripts, and the database
structure is horrid. After that description you can relax, breathe
calmly again in the safe knowledge, no it's not you.

Looks pretty: like this week's 'new shape' Vauxhall, if you know what
I mean.

I stick to the old design principle 'Form Follows Function'. So when
building a project for someone, first I set down how the application
will live and work: will there be a project lifecycle, how will it get
maintained. A 'boxy but good' solution.
I'm having a bad time maintaining this project and not looking forward
to doing an audit. I guess they didn't think about audits when they
"Designed" the website.

I think it  is easy to critisize; maybe this design agency provided
something that I have missed, maybe they were really cheap or delivered
the project to very tight deadlines. Sure there are times when one is
forced to write a kluge, but you need to autograph it with a comment
and apologise to the next developer. But how one makes a whole web
application into giant-sized xxxx up I don't know! Maybe I should ask
the Win 8 design team.

Rant over.

TS