[Phpwm] criticising other agencies

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Thu May 23 14:12:41 UTC 2013

On 23 May 2013, at 14:28, db_developer at o2.co.uk wrote:

> When does it become acceptable to critisize agencies and their work?

That's what #phpwm is for ;-)

> I have inherited some code from a well known agency in Birmingham and
> just thought I'd let off some steam.

I'll remain ignorant of the agency or website, but it could well be the case that there is a reasonable amount of legacy code involved…. perhaps what the site is built on is from $THE_DARK_AGES (when everything was black and white) - before and had frameworks, ORMs, composer and whatever else?

Perhaps the agency inherited the codebase from someone else, and aren't really responsible for it?

It can also take some time to understand quite why something is as it appears …. there have been a number of times I've removed what I've thought was horrible looking code, only to effectively add it back in a few months later.