[Preston] I hate to ask this but...

Matthew Field preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Dec 12 00:13:00 2002

--=======2F4526FE=======

At 22:35 11/12/2002, you wrote:
>Gulp, here goes...
>
>Well, erm... I have bought my daughter a pc for christmas and installed
>windows 98 on it (I know, I know but she's only 10 so she has yet to sample
>the delights of linux). The thing is, I want to set up a password on it for
>her so that her beloved brothers and sisters can't use it when she is not
>around (she has specified this particularly! lol). SO, I know that the
>standard password for a win 95/98 machine allows you to cancel and bring the
>machine up with a basic set of desktop icons..Thing is, does anybody know of
>a way whereby the machine will not fully boot without the said password
>(like windows 2000 for example). Any help greatly appreciated by a sweet
>little girl who will one day become my Linux protegy (so the story goes
>anyway).
>
>Cheers
>
>John

With Win98 it can only be done by using a BIOS password, If the machine is
at least P2 300 with 128MB of memory I'd suggest using Win 2000 If not then
how about NT4 which will allow what you want. Failing that it is possible
that a 3rd party utility exists.
One final thought the screensaver in win98 can be password protected so a
shortcut for the screensaver could be put on the desktop so that when she
leaves the machine the screensaver is set so no one can access anything.

Cheers

Matthew