[Preston] RE: memory

Steve Taylor preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Nov 6 22:53:00 2002

> My IBM/Cyrix PR166 I believe is slightly faster than a pentium P166
> (possibly rated as high as a P200 so I have been told but I don't know for
> certain).

Depends what you're doing with it. I would say at best it is as fast as a
P166, but substantially worse for multimedia/games. But for a Linux (without
X) machine it is more than adequate.

> It should have 32MB Ram but although the BIOS reports 32MB Windows
> only sees 28MB so I am guessing that one of the two 16MB EDO Ram
> sticks has a duff 4MB chip on it???

I think it means the on-board video is using 4Mb - and in the BIOS you can
tell it to use less if you want.

Does the box have a "VMT" sticker on the back by any chance? LOL

> Out of interest, I also have a Compaq Prolinea 590 machine (a 586 machine)
> with 16MB Ram and a 600MB hard drive. Would this be sufficient to
> run IPCop?

Yes.

Steve