[Preston] java for linux

Richard Revis preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Nov 12 20:00:01 2002

On Tuesday 12 Nov 2002 7:43 pm, Hyperion Cantos wrote:

> Does anyone have any good url's that could guide a complete nivice in j=
ava,
> to a semi understanding of the basic software and how to start writing =
code
> in Java.

The java web site at java.sun.com is perfectly adequate - just follow the=
=20
tutorials.

> Is it a complex langiage to learn?

No. It took me about about 20 minutes to write my first program, and a we=
ek to=20
get fairly comfortable with it.

Iy you know C or C++ you will find it even easier :o)

> what are the devlopement enviroments for
> java on linux like?

The Sun One Studio (free) is pretty good but needs a beast of a computer =
to=20
run. At least 128mb of free memory is a must. You can use command line/vi=
=20
happily.

> would I nead to get any new software to install on my
> suse8.1, in order for me to begin discovering java?

You will need as a bare minimum the J2SE SDK. To develop JSP/Servlets/Bea=
ns=20
(web stuff basicaly) you will need the J2EE SDK as well.

If you download the Sun One Studio it also installs the Tomcat server for=
 web=20
component testing, as well as a cut down database. The IDE is particularl=
y=20
good for database and web work, or graphical editing of Swing/AWT compone=
nts.

You can compile Java to native code using GCC for Java, but that takes aw=
ay=20
its only real advantage - portability.

--=20
Richard Revis