[Preston] A new hope for Debian wannabees?

Guy preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Nov 21 11:48:00 2002

On Tuesday 19 November 2002 3:15 pm, you wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Thanks for your message.  I may well try that when I have time as I really
> would like to use Debian.  I just found this graphical installer
> http://hackers.progeny.com/pgi/ and was wondering about using that as it is
> more official than the Knoppix one.

I have used the progeny installer (I used to run progeny). Its OK but I would
give the default text installer a try first - its not that scary.

> Also, I was wondering is there any way to install sid from scratch (i.e.
> without going through woody/knoppix first)?  I really need GNOME2 (as when
> Gnopernicus comes out I'll have to use it) and the latest version of
> Evolution, and various libraries would be nice too.

Whoa! Bad idea! I think you are jumping the gun a bit here! The Debian Sid
distribution is the least stable (ie unstable ) version  - it is designed for
developers. Woody is the current stable version and the testing version is
called Sarge. If you are not used to Debian and the idea of text based
installer puts the zap on your head DO NOT attempt to install Sid!!!!

The point about Debian is that the stable distribution is very stable - cast
iron: tried and tested, bug fixed, tried again then released. I have used
Debian for more than a year and a half and it has never hung-up or crashed.
BUT the price you pay for this stability is lack of cutting edge software. If
you want more cutting edge software try the testing version (sarge) but there
is no way to install it from scratch: you will have to install woody and
upgrade to it. You see it is not a distribution as such - it is fluid and
changes all the time. Eventually the developers 'freeze' the testing version,
more testing is done and finally it becomes a stable release and replaces the
existing stable version.

Regards,
--
Guy