Re[2]: [Preston] messing with wine

Databug preston at mailman.lug.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 18:05:01 2003

Hello Jonathan,
On the 06/01/2003, you wrote about "[Preston] messing with wine"

JA> None of the below :-)

JA> First of all, you're not emulating anything :-) Wine simply provides
JA> free implementations of the Windows libraries, that *can* interoperate
JA> with native Windows libraries.

JA> Alternatively, when you setup Wine, you can opt to use their entirely
JA> free Windows implementation. This generally results in a less stable
JA> system, because you're not using native DLLs, but you're free from the
JA> MS-tax of actually having to buy a copy of Windows.

This is no problem for me as I already dual boot. I'm  writing this
EMail in Windows. Of course I would like to be free of windows
eventually but at the moment Linux doesn't support ALL my needs. ie. I
like to have a good game and while Linux will run some games it
certainly won't run all. But it's a joy to have both as it no longer
ties me to Windows. Although I still use Windows but Linux is my main
system and if I had to I could drop Windows any time they annoy me.

JA> As this point, I should probably recommend Transgaming WineX, a free
JA> Wine implementation geared towards playing DirectX games in Linux. I
JA> use it for a few games, but also mainly for applications, because I
JA> think Transgaming has pretty much the best Wine distribution out there.
JA> It's easy to install, very full featured, and supports (legally) the
JA> copy-protection usually found in applications that use InstallShield. I
JA> recommend it, it costs very little and is an excellent product.
JA> www.transgaming.com

Thank you for the recommendation I shall check it out. I'm also
interested in VMware. I did download the demo but as I'm a newbie I do
struggle setting programs up.

That`s all for now

--

Other EMail:-                   mpmargraf@hotmail.com
ICQ Nr:-  87314826     IRC Nicks:-  databug, MadMango
Homepage:-                 http://www.arkofnoah.co.uk

You're just jealous because the voices are talking to me and not you!